[meteorite-list] Re: NWA's, 'Dealers', Science, & NomCom

From: Michel Franco <michel_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Nov 25 14:29:45 2004

Stan, List,

I have not really all the details about that present case, ( who really
kowns ?).

So many NWA are thought to be paired. CV 3 series, CR series, IMB series,
Howardite/eurcite, etc...,

You know that a lot of collectors think now any new CK chondrite from the
Sahara is now said to be possibly paired with the CK recent series, same
with R series.

What I personnaly think is that pairing is obvious for not brecciated
meteorites, much more difficult for brecciated, xenolitic, etc... Look the
majority of scinetific problems in NWA pairing come from brecciated ones.

I had that case of addionnal mass and it worked for, Djermaia, fall chad
1961, published this year. I have running a case with an important meteorite
that might be paired with an existing NWA. It is analysed thses days. I'll
will ask for an additonnal mass publication, if the lab says it is paired,
not for an extra number or another name. I do not care about having the
first declared mass. But some dealer care, as a new number make a new
meteorite and a new openning on the market. This is a major problem, not the
scientific pairing. Everybody knows that a new meteorite name ( even a new
NWA !) make more money that an addionnal mass of an already marketed
meteorite. The smaller the TKW, the higher the $/g, that' the rule.

I guess that if your lab say that NWA XXX is paired with your meteorite then
there is no objection to declare an additonnal mass. It is not that much
work for the Nom Com. Same as declaring a new number. The Nom Com has just
to publish: Additionnal mass to NWA XXX, 2.543 kg and add the name of the
main mass owner plus his location.
In fact the repsonsabilitry of the pairing is given by the lab. The Nom Com
only act here as a registration chamber, which is not at all prejorative in
my words.
I think that the problem comes with provisionnal number sgiven to NWA
meteorites. I never asked for a provisionnal number for any of my finds. I
send them to the lab with my proprietay hunter numbers. Then the Nom Com
decides what name they have. But as, I said it take a year to have it
published.

Best regards

Michel FRANCO
Caillou Noir www.caillou-noir.com