[meteorite-list] RE: Nice Dronino?

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Nov 26 13:50:11 2004

I must have the weirdest environment ever to try to preserve meteorites
in... My 10 g piece of Chinga, which one of the other List members described
as "practically natural stainless steel", has a nice little swathe of rust
across its face. I will need to clean and treat better than half of my cut
and polished iron specimens, if I wish to prevent rusting; even the usually
remarkably stable Sikhote-Alins in my collection are spalling a bit. OTOH,
a chip of Dronino which I bought from one of the Russian dealers earlier
this year in Tucson has shown no signs whatsoever of degradation. My
Nantan, immortalized in verse and posts as being a rustbucket, has shown no
inclination to rust beyond its initial surface scale.

No accounting!

Tracy Latimer