[meteorite-list] bengrir fall

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Nov 27 17:52:54 2004

Hello Habibi,

Thank you for the photos of the new fall. The next step is to get GPS
coordinates, witness statements, location of fall (nearest village, town or
city). I do not think the military will mind you gathering this data as we
(our Moroccan partners) ran into the same scenario with Amgala. Of course
buying the material from them directly did not hurt. However this case may
be, we encourage you to collect this data NOW before any witnesses "forget"
what they heard, saw, smelled or felt. You are in the forefront on this one,
go get the data and submit it to the lab that will analyze your type sample
(or whoever submits it first).

Being that the reported fall was near or in Marrakech, finding a GPS should
not be a problem. In fact, Mike Farmer arrived in Morocco today so perhaps
you can join up with him again, call his guide. I suspect he has a GPS with
him. I think he may be chasing down that other iron meteorite that fell this
month in the Atlas Mountains. Amazing that all of these falls are there.

Were there any small complete stones recovered yet? If not, just another
reason to talk to the eye witnesses and then you should be able to figure
out which direction it traveled and find the smaller complete stones. Put me
down for a couscous-bag full of complete oriented ones ;-)

Best of luck,

Greg