[meteorite-list] Maybe NOT time to move on ...

From: VeIocity_at_aol.com <VeIocity_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Oct 4 14:59:27 2004

I'm still fairly new here, although my IMCA membership is coming through shortly, and I just wanted to make an observation on the debates (fistfights) that I've seen so far on the Meteorite list... This is lightweight.

Compared to some of the other lists to which I have subscribed, the Metlist is decidedly tame---unlike the various tech-lists out there, wherein cruelty and abuse are a way of life, and death threats are commonplace. Who would have ever thought that people could come to blows over circuit boards, ribbon connectors and overclocking kits?

I don't pretend to fully understand the passion or the politics, but I accept the fact that humans are an aggressive species, and they actually enjoy snarling and snapping at one another on a regular basis. And we'll always be that way, hopefully---it's our aggression that makes us the most adaptable and intelligent species in the history of this planet.

Anyway, I'm really more impressed with the patience, cooperation and good-natured ribbing that I've seen exhibited on the Metlist than I am with the occasional tiffs and snide remarks. Frankly, I don't think there's enough heat in here to drive anyone out of the kitchen---but there will always be a handful of thin-skinned whiners to bemoan the slightest failings of any given forum.

I'm not one of them, and I'll try to keep my malcontent interjections to a minimum. }=]

Charles Miller