[meteorite-list] Treasure, tales of space booty

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Oct 5 15:31:56 2004

Dear List Members,

While we are on the subject of treasure which seems to be a positive string
I would like to make a few comments. First of all, I would give just about
anything to be in Florida right now chasing down galleon wreck treasures as
this has been a goal of Greg and I since we were 12 and 13 years old.
Congratulations bro. on a successful recovery.

Here is an image of one summers recovery effort by me diving on old swimming
holes:
http://themeteoritesite.com/TreasureWide.jpg

Here is a close-up of the same treasure, all wet finds:
http://themeteoritesite.com/TresureClose3.jpg

Second, it was treasure hunting that lead to our involvement in meteoritics.
Meteorites are some of the most elusive booty we have chased down requiring
long hours in the field. Our first exposure to the wonderful world of
meteorites was when we were invited on two meteorite hunting expeditions at
an ancient terminal moraine by the University of Washington. Two meteorites
had been recovered here in the past where a one mile thick ice sheet acted
as a conveyer belt and deposited the space treasure. We were only invited
because of our treasure hunting equipment and skills but soon realized that
meteorite hunting added another dimension to a great hobby.

As we sat around the campfire at night other expedition members were talking
about Haag and Ninninger. I had never heard of either one but was becoming
more interested by the minute as tales of Snicks and Lunars were being
thrown about in the conversation. As bottles of wine were being passed
around the camp, talk of adventure kept me peeked. I thought to myself,
these meteorites sure are cool and wouldn't it be great to travel around the
world in pursuit of these objects not realizing that the meteorite bug had
taken hold at that very moment. Here we were camping out on a 3000 foot
high plateau, a cosmic landing strip, so to speak, talking about a type of
treasure from space, what could be better?

Hope to hear more tales from other members,

Adam Hupe
The Hupe Collection
Team LunarRock
IMCA 2185