[meteorite-list] The June 3rd sighting has not panned out

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Oct 9 21:24:28 2004

Dear List,

I am finished following up leads generated by the June 3rd, bolide sighting.
I will never advertise again to check out suspected meteorites. I have
driven all over the state investigating suspected meteorites and have
fielded well over 200 phone calls without a single solid lead. Even the
most promising leads turned out to be dudes.

Some things I learned are:

No matter what you say, once somebody's got it in their head that they have
a meteorite you can not tell them differently.

If you tell them their suspected meteorite is terrestrial they may state
that it is a new type never seen before just like the ones they read about
on the internet.

If you tell them that their stone is not a meteorite and not worth $35,000,
or whatever amount they need to clear their debt, they think you are trying
to hoodwink them out of it even though no offers were extended.

I think after this last email I will go back to searching for meteorites
myself. This passage was pulled from an email I received after telling the
author he did not have a meteorite.

How can you say it is not a meteorite?You were not there where I was when I
saw and heard this thing hit the ground at more than max mach speed. it took
me days to get up the nervs to dig it out and I do not care what you say
because its mine not yours get it. If you found it it would be a meteorite
right but since I found it it is not.Come on lets be fair.I and my friends
know you want it thats why you tell me it is not what I know it is.Even if
you paid me $15000 for it I would not sell it to you. I already will have
somebody who respects it look at it so you can forget about it.

It is almost scary dealing with people like this.

All the best,

Adam