[meteorite-list] Scientists Blast Into The Earth's PastinVirginia (Chesapeake Bay Crater)

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Oct 11 17:18:14 2004

Hi Matt, John and all,

The books that I have read on the subject of speed of an in coming meteoroid
is between 34 miles per second to 72 miles per second. Depends if it is
colliding with the Earth or catching up as you add the Earth's speed into
the collision. Smaller objects slow down to terminal velocity and bigger
ones with lots of mass hit at near stellar speed and make craters. 34 to 72
miles per second comes out to what 122,400 to 259,000 miles per hour a bit
faster than what Matt has suggested but I might have old data.

Best!

--AL Mitterling