FW: [meteorite-list] Re: Berthoud fall

From: Charles Viau <cviau_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Oct 12 02:43:41 2004

I know it was not a sterile environment, barely anything on earth is, but I
would think that as soon as academia showed up, they would have never wanted
it touched again. The less contamination the better if it going to be
examined by NASA and by University. Even Tagish lake, which fell on frozen
lake water was 'contaminated', but since it was collected so carefully (by
Jim Brook ), without skin contact, and the pieces kept frozen, it was much
more valuable to science because of that. Also, scientists that collect in
Antarctica essentially do the same thing. Just an observation. I know that
if I had ever witnessed a fall and came up upon a suspected piece, I would
photo it in situ, GPS if possible, and then collect it with gloves.

CharlyV