[meteorite-list] Introducing NWA 3133, A Fantastic New Meteorite

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Oct 13 22:26:34 2004

Hello all,

Adam wrote:

"NWA 3133 was first thought to be either a brachinite or a recrystallized
chondrite prompting the two laboratories, Northern Arizona University and
the University of Washington, to seek oxygen isotope testing, a way to
determine its final classification."

Stan wrote about a possible pairing to NWA 1839.

After all this I was curious enough to take a look at NWA 1839...both a small slice I have of it, and the slices available on the net at http://www.polandmet.com/_nwa1839.htm

I know the first rule of comparing meteorites...that is, not to compare by looks alone...but it sure looks to me like NWA 1839 has the appearance of the auction pieces of NWA 3133.

NWA 1839 was classified by NAU as a L7 recrystalized chondrite ...and at first glance it looks like a dark achondrite(ie.brachinite). I'll be curious to see how this turns out, and if indeed they are the same.

Question...since we know the mineral composition percentages of NWA 1839, would it be asking too much to publish the same findings for NWA 3133...for comparison, or will only the oxygen isotope values really be the litmus test for pairing these two, and/or other stones that come along. Does NAU have an opinion yet? Are they looking into it(NWA 1839) again? Were isotopes previously measured for NWA 1839 ?

Since I/we have pieces of NWA 1839 out there...I/we would really like to know.

As usual...curious,

John

-------------- Original message from "Adam Hupe" : --------------