[meteorite-list] Falls near Sacramento

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 15 03:16:11 2004

Hi Moni,

> there are two meteorites close to Sacramento, Bruceville (L6) and
> Shingle Springs (Ataxite). <snip>
> Still hoping for a meteorite to land in my backyard or fall through
> my roof though! :-)

Another one almost did this past summer: a little northeast of
Sacramento. (Actually, northeast of Auburn in the Tahoe National
Forest). I triangulated the fall location from two All-Sky camera
recordings of the bolide to within an approximately 1 x 3 mile area.
If it had been desert, it would have had a decent chance of being
recovered. Unfortunately, it was dense forest with significant
elevation changes. (I spent a couple days up there looking for it.)

Cheers,
Rob