[meteorite-list] Which one came closest?

From: martinh_at_isu.edu <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 15 21:53:04 2004

Jeff Grossman kindly suggested:
> Maybe another interesting angle for this discussion is to find the
> meteorite that fell closest to you personally, not to the place
> where you now live; i.e., how close did you ever come to being hit?

Hi Jeff and all,

For me, the closest meteor(ite) would be about 58km away, but straight up. The 1972 (Teton) Fireball flew over my head when I was a young kid fishing in Montana. I still remember the event vividly.

Here is a link (but no pic) about the event. I got the 58km figure from this website which mentioned that the fireball's closest point to earth was over Montana (and thus me).

http://www.maa.agleia.de/Comet/Other/1972.html

And for Bernd, I got the L4 classification of Jerome, Idaho from Meteorites A-Z which in turn cites the 1985 ASU catalog (reference 20). Frankly it looks like L6 material to me, except for some few-and-far-between areas that could pass for type 4 material.

Cheers,

Martin