[meteorite-list] large, radioactive ebay brahins from chenobyl area

From: JKGwilliam <h3chondrite_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 22 11:33:48 2004

List,
I suppose it was just a matter of time before radiation contaminated Brahin
started showing up on the market.

Several years ago, I talked with Ivan K. about the issues concerning the
Brahin strewn field including its overlapping the Chernobyl contamination
site. According to Ivan, there are large, highly visible monuments
surrounding the restricted area making it quite impossible for a meteorite
hunter to wander into the area by accident. Anyone who spent much time
inside this area would have to be a fool or desperate for money. Reputable
meteorite hunters would never knowingly sell contaminated meteorites.

  And to further complicate the matter, this same area was the site of a
huge Russian/German battle(s) during World War II and a local cottage
industry exists where buried soldiers are located and repatriated to their
respective countries. If my memory is correct, the German government was
paying the equivalent of $200 apiece for the remains of their soldiers,
which makes detecting and digging in the restricted area a big temptation.

It could be possible that some of these folks are finding pieces of the
Brahin meteorite and finding a buyer for them. After all, who's going to
pass up the opportunity to make several hundreds, even thousands, of
dollars when the average monthly income in Russia is about $200.00?

I'm guessing that the only thing that's preventing more of the contaminated
Brahin from showing up on the meteorite market is the current price. If
this pallasite was still selling for $8.00 to $12.00 per gram, a lot of it
would be making its way to the collectors market.

Best,

JKGwilliam