[meteorite-list] Watery mail

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 22 14:53:05 2004

Well, why "watery"? My four meteorite specimens from Mike Farmer
arrived today. Although I haven't had much time yet to welcome them,
I must say that what I saw knocked my socks off and made my mouth
water. That's why this mail may be a little watery :-)

The two Soledade specimens (#9 and #12) are breathtaking and one
look under the microscope assured me that Soledade does *in no way*
look like Odessa.

Number three is the thoroughly recrystallized NWA 2092 with absolutely
fresh, thick, black fusion crust (specimen #11) and an awesome light-
colored matrix with no chondrules visible - a real eye-catcher!

And, a roll of drums, please, ... Mike's new ureilite, Dhofar 979. The pics
on his website just don't do this gorgeous beauty justice. It is far more
beautiful when viewed under the microscope - golden, almost translucent
olivines (as if you were looking at Esquel crystals) and abundant finely
disseminated metallic particles ... something to die for. No, it is not a
pallasite - the numerous 120? triple junctions attest to it being a ureilite.

Best wishes,

Bernd