[meteorite-list] Dhofar 018 howardite question

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Oct 25 16:54:24 2004

Hello Listees and Listoids,

When I was closely inspecting my interesting, little 2.02-gram
Dhofar 018 slice from Serge, I found a conspicuous triangular
shiny metal inclusion measuring 2.5 x 2.0 x 1.5 mm. I know that
(traces of) metal has been found in a few howardites (basaltic
eucrite clasts in DaG 669 have abundant FeNi metal) but I have
never heard of or seen such a compact and solid FeNi clast in a
howardite. Does anyone have a specimen of Dhofar 018 or any other
howardite with such a large metallic inclusion? I also detected
a troilite patch but when there is metal, then troilite is never
too far away (the opaque minerals in the Chaves howardite, for
example, contain abundant troilite).

Nickel-ironly and
troilitically yours,

Bernd