[meteorite-list] Viewer Descriptions Of Flash In Sky

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Oct 26 12:15:32 2004

As a rule, you find strewn fields directly (or nearly so) beneath the point
of terminal explosion. People who are far enough away to see the fireball
moving "downwards" are usually nowhere near the area where meteorites fall-
they are typically 50-200 miles away. What I'd be looking for is someone who
saw the fireball traveling upwards and high overhead. Of course, the guy who
saw it go straight down can potentially provide a good azimuth for the
fireball path.

I haven't read any reports of sonic booms or electrophonic noise. These are
usually a very good sign that you are in the right area for meteorite
hunting.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory