[meteorite-list] Octahedrite formation and Mars

From: martinh_at_isu.edu <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Oct 28 19:16:03 2004

Hello Thomas and All,

Actually, I would suspect the earth does not YET have a Widmanstatten patterned core since the crystal formation is a solid state creation once the iron has solidified (cooled below the melting point) of which I believe the earth's core is still liquid.

Just my thoughts. Maybe the MESSENGER mission to Mercury (which is 60-65 percent core) will shed more light on this topic.

Cheers,

Martin