[meteorite-list] The Relic and Some Images

From: JKGwilliam <h3chondrite_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 29 12:02:01 2004

Adam & Mark,
Thanks to Adam for posting the pictures of this very unusual piece. I know
absolutely nothing about African artifacts, but I did notice one thing that
might be of interest. The first thing I thought of when I saw the top view
of this item was that it had some similarities to a "poison cup" which was
a popular item among the wealthy people of the 17th Century, especially the
Spanish. Basically, a poison cup had a small cage or a threaded post in
the bottom of it which held a "bezoar stone." The bezoar stone, which is a
gall stone made of hair and calcium deposits and found in the digestive
tracts of ruminating animals, was thought to absorb poison from wine and
other drinks.

One such poison cup was found at the wreck site of the Spanish ship
"Atoche" which I know Adam is familiar with.

Could it be that 17th century Africans saw one of these cups in the
possession of Spanish explorers and tried to duplicate it?

For more information about bezoars, poison cups and their us in 17th
century Europe, go to this website.

http://www.melfisher.org/bezoar.htm

Best,
JKGwilliam