[meteorite-list] NPA 03-18-1875: Homestead Meteorite News Notes

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 29 21:44:14 2004

Paper: Decatur Local Review
City: Decatur, Illinois
Date: March 18, 1875
Page: 5

- Owing to the great demand for pieces of the great meteor, we have made
arrangements with the proprietor of an Illinois lime kiln for a sufficient
number of fragments to supply all customers. Liberal reduction made to
schools, and public libraries and public libraries and scientific
associations. Leave orders at the office of THE HAWK-EYE, the best paper in
America, for sale at all news depots price five cents

(end)

     The Marengo Republican says a piece of the great meteor, weighing
seven pounds, six ounces, fell on the farm of Mr. L. Sherlock, nine miles
east of Marengo and two miles west of Homestead. It was discovered in the
morning by some of the children, when on their way to school. Appearances
indicated that after striking the earth it rebounded and fell some thirty
feet from where it first struck. Unfortunately for the interest of science,
Mr. S. Broke the piece into small fragments and distributed them among his
neighbors.” A small piece weighing four and a half ounces is in the
possession of the editor of the Republican

(end)

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
http://www.meteoritearticles.com

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

Reminders:

PDF copy of this article is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. I have been doing
this to for use of the meteorite-list search engine:

http://www.mail-archive.com/meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com/maillist.html