[meteorite-list] NPA 03-25-1933: Big (Pasamonte) Meteor Lights Five SW States

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Oct 31 10:36:09 2004

Paper: The Bee
City: Danville, Virginia
Date: Saturday, March 25, 1933
Page: 6

BIG METEOR LIGHTS FIVE S.W. STATES

Passing of Heavenly Visitor Accompanied By Thunderous Rumble That Shakes
Houses

     AMARILLO, Tex., March 25. - (AP) - A gigantic meteor lighted the skies
with awesome brilliance in five southwestern states before dawn yesterday
and with a thunderous rumble that rattled doors and windows, apparently
disintegrated on its earthward plunge.
     Persons in various localities of the North Texas plains region, the
Oklahoma panhandle, southwestern Kansas, southern Colorado and New Mexico
expressed the belief that the meteor or fragments of it had fallen nearby,
but no reports had been received tonight of the finding of parts which may
have struck the ground.
     "I thought it was coming straight for me." said Bill Coyle, who was
flying eastbound at 9,500 feet over Adrian, Tex. "We were at the same
altitude."
     A moment after the dazzling light flooded the sky, however, Coyle
caught sight of the meteor's deep red and bluish tinted tail and saw it was
going north of him. He described the meteor as "shaped like a ball," with
fiery fragments whirling away from it.
     "I noticed that an extremely bright, fiery thread extended backward
from the main mass before it spread out into the gaseous brilliantly shaded
tail, which may have been between 50 and 100 miles long," he said.
     "It was impossible to tell whether the meteor gradually disintegrated
or struck the ground."
     He said an "enormous mass of blue light" without a tail, approached
from a high altitude for eight or ten seconds from a distance estimated at
300 miles, and then separated into two clouds - one very brilliant blue and
the other yellow and flame colored. The clouds then seemed to merge and
remained in view for about half an hour.
     Many persons were awakened by the brilliance and the rumble which
caused dwellings to vibrate.

(end)

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
http://www.meteoritearticles.com

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

Reminders:

PDF copy of this article, and most that I have and will post, is available
upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. I have been doing
this to for use of the meteorite-list search engine:

http://www.mail-archive.com/meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com/maillist.html