[meteorite-list] NWA3136 Clarifications and ebay Ad

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Sep 8 19:03:54 2004

Dear List,

The description of the new Lunar meteorite NWA 3136 remains the same. The
only corrections are that the word "lunaite" was misspelled and in two BSE
images a mineral was labeled augite when it should have been called
pigeonite. This does not in any way affect the scientific value or
importance of NWA 3136. A scientist pointed out the minor error and I just
wanted to clear it up. Somebody asked for some ratios that prove planetary
provenance so here is what I have:

The measured iron to manganese ratios in olivines (82-94) and pyroxenes
(69-76) match the values found for Apollo samples. This was confirmed in
more than one laboratory.

Despite a very thorough search no other stones were found. This meteorite
will never be traded to dealers simply because there is not enough of it to
work with. We earmarked a few part slices for trade, mainly to institutions
who have already expressed great interest in a few examples. We will bring
a few examples to Denver totaling a few grams and when they are gone that is
that. If the part slices we have on ebay do not sell we will break them
down into smaller more affordable pieces and try again. If we have anything
left after Denver we will offer it directly to the List. If anything is
left after that we will increase the price because as it stands now this
specimen is way under valued. I can say this because a trade value of over
$20,000 a gram has already been offered which was refused because we simply
did not have enough material to cover the trade.

This is a true one-of-a-kind planetary meteorite rarer by weight than both
Chassigny and ALH84001. To find something similar you would have to
reference the Apollo collection and then again there would be differences.

If you are interested there are still 10 out of 12 pieces left on ebay. To
see these specimens click on the link below and check out NWA 3136:

http://members.ebay.com/ws2/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=meteoritelab

Thank you for looking and if you are bidding, good luck.

All the best,

Adam Hupe
The Hupe Collection
Team LunarRock