[meteorite-list] NWA 1110 issues

From: Michel Franco <michel_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 9 11:19:22 2004

Hello Adam, Mark and list,

I think that the Nom Com uses the term "additional mass" when a new fragment
( or individual ) is found, and recognized scientifically by a reknown lab
as paired with an already published meteorite.
I had the case this year with a new mass ( 2947 g) of the Djermaia H
meteorite that fell in Chad in feb 1961 and that I had the great opportunity
to be in charge. (see www.caillou-noir.com/Djermaia.htm )
The additonnal mass was published this year in the Met Bull# 88, and the
official TKW of this meteorite has changed. Bob Haag new catalog displays
also an individual that is very likely another mass of Djermaia , but
apparently he has not submitted his stone to the Nom Com. He hold the
biggest one !!! But mine is for sale.
I can imagine that a paired meteorite to NWA could be named with the same
name, if the pairing has been scientifically established and if the new mass
is submitted to the approuval of the Nom Com.
For sure, before publication, it is not fair to say that the probably paired
one is the true mass of the declared meteorite.
My 2 cents,

Best regards,

Michel FRANCO