[meteorite-list] Letter from Jeff Grossman concerning NWA 111 0 andpairings

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 9 16:07:00 2004

Hi Mark,

Amusing that you should write:

"And being a realistic person, I can accept that the next time the new "CK4"
(example) comes out, and four dealers are selling it (half under different
numbers) and I get offered some from Morocco, it's most likely the same
meteorite."

You'll have to wait for MB 89 to discovery the clairvoyance of your
example... ;-)

> There are other problems with Meteoritical Society naming procedures. For
> example, I have multiple stones from Arizona and Nevada that are
classified
> and have cordinates......but will not get official names. No biggie,
> I'm not selling them.

If they are classified and have coordinates, it sounds like there could only
be one thing stopping them from having official names: a proper type
specimen
submission. That's not a Meteoritical Society or NomCom problem -- it's a
finder problem. --Rob