[meteorite-list] The Problems with Reductionism ad infinitum

From: stan . <laser_maniac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 9 20:14:56 2004

Then, a planetary scientist looked at the rest of your
>fragments and told you that, by eye-balling them, they were consistent with
>the one or two which had actually been micro-probed. If this is the
>scenerio, then techinally speaking I don't think you can really acertain
>whether the un-analyzed fragments are truely paired to the analyzed
>fragments anymore than other dealers (or planetary scientists) can claim
>that the fragments they purchased from moroccan suppliers are paired to the
>official NWA 1110 without micro probe analysis.

AFIK to be considered paired samples also need to have CRE age determined as
well - without this it's a 'provisonal' pairing

I have to agree with this one. if you dont have gps and collection data for
each fragment collected how can a scientist give a visual once over to the
fragments and determine they are all the same nwa number, when in any other
case you need microprobe AND CRE data to confirm a pairing?

sounds like the mother of all double standards to me.