[meteorite-list] Etching Compounds

From: stan . <laser_maniac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Sep 10 23:24:54 2004

in my very Very VERY limited experience a solution of ammonium biflouride in
phosphoric acid makes an excellet 'cleaning potion' for iron meteroties. I
was quite skeptical of it's usefullness due to the flourine content, but the
small sikhote i cleaned over a year ago is in perfect shape today - and it's
a 'shower' - gets passed around to friends and sits around unprotected in
the wet florida weather. a nice added bonus is that if left on a metal to be
cleaned it leaves a layer of black iron oxide, somewhat hiding the cleaned
areas in fusion crusted irons.