[meteorite-list] Re: September 11, 2001 [OT]

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Sep 11 15:29:59 2004

Bernd posted:

> So, folks, before you get back to your daily chores and petty quarrels
> here on this List or elsewhere, take a moment's time and remember!

Dear Bernd, Fellow List Members and Friends:

Thank you for your post, Bernd, which was thoughtful and moving as usual.

Those of you who were subscribers to the Meteorite List in 2001 will
perhaps recall that I was unpleasantly close to Ground Zero three
years ago today, and had the misfortune of witnessing the Towers'
collapse in person, from the west bank of the Hudson River. I
remember several of our friends and colleagues posting to the List
asking if Darryl Pitt, Geoff Cintron, and myself were okay. Thank you
for that.

Macovich Collection curator Darryl Pitt and I both worked
(separately) with volunteers during the days that followed. Darryl
put in many nights working at Ground Zero, in some cases with an
armed escort. I took over 1,200 photos -- mostly of the rescue effort
-- many of which are on my website. My photo gallery received over
35,000 visits in the weeks that followed September 11. I find it
difficult to look at the pictures now, but perhaps they will be of
interest to some.

http://www.notkin.net/disaster.htm

My photos have been widely published since, and have also appeared in
three documentary films about September 11. I gave my photos free of
charge to fellow artists and publishers who wished to use them, but I
did bill "Reader's Digest" a substantial fee, as they could afford it
: )

When I moved permanently to Tucson earlier this year my little calico
cat, Bonnie, drove the 2,900 miles with me. She is a very special
cat, as she is a World Trade Center orphan. I adopted her shortly
after the attack in which her original owner died. She has adjusted
well and is a constant companion, so something positive did come out
that day for me.

Finally, here are two photos of the blue light memorial from
September, 2002. These images have never been published, and have not
been shown on my website until today:

http://www.notkin.net/memorial.htm

On this day, especially, Americans should remember the friendship and
support we have received from our friends overseas. As a nation, we
cannot go it alone.

I continue to believe that forums such as the Meteorite List are an
important asset to international understanding and friendship and
can, perhaps, even repair some of the damage caused by aggressive
governments.

Respectfully,

Geoffrey Notkin
Tucson, Arizona