[meteorite-list] Etching Compounds

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Sep 11 19:46:18 2004

Dear Stan;
My former experience is....................go to the local water lab
that samples wells/tests ground water. If you ask politely, one can get
a 1/4 liter of Nitric if you tip the lowly lab tech with a specimen of
meteorite and spend a few moments explaining what an interesting thing
it is to be a meteorite collector...and an etching person! They get
nitric many times in 5 gallon containers so a cup or so isn't a big thing.
Sometimes a 12 pack is the route to go but a REAL meteorite specimen
will usually work.
Best,
Dave the acidman thread killer