AW: [meteorite-list] Enough is Enough, Now NWA 1877

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Sep 13 12:15:37 2004

Dear John and List,

The word apparent double standard would apply here. If you feel it is ok to
pick numbers at random for additional finds when it comes to NWA and not
others, why is this not happening with the Antarctic, Sahara, DAGs, SAUs and
Dhofars? Why is it that when a Martian meteorite was announced as NWA 1068
some dealers are using a number that describes a pairing instead (NWA 1110)?
Could it be that they are too lazy to apply for their own numbers, have
their material studied and submitted for vote. NWA 1110 is not a catchall
for additional finds, it is an official set of tested pebbles that happen to
be Martian. Using the name NWA 869 is meaningless because like Kem Kem it
has become a catchall stone. I would go as far as to say, you would better
off selling NWA 869 as unclassified because an unclassified stone seems to
be worth more on the open market these days. This one of the reasons I
object strongly when it comes to rare material.

All the best,

Adam