[meteorite-list] Mazapil Meteorite Newspaper Articles

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Sep 15 15:35:47 2004

Hello Svend,

While I can not help you track down the current whereabouts of Mazapil. You
might find the following two newspapers interesting. The first is very long
and I do not have it transcribed yet, the second is posted on my website. I
have PDF's copies of each available via e-mail upon request (~800kb. each).
Mazapil will get a direct newpsaper article link on the site later tonight.

I will be leaving here within the hour (on vacation), however I have hired
helper now, she has worked with me before and seems to have a good handle on
things and should be able to handle almost all inquiries.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com

Paper: Washington Post
City: Washington, D.C.
Date: Sunday, October 31, 1909
Page: Magazine Section, Page 1

(Part of a long article on meteors)

Meteors Like Little Pebbles

     The former of these was a bolide which came to earth in France on Aprl
4, 1905, a shower of Lyraids simultanesouly attracting the heavens the
wondering gaze ofthe people of western Europe. Of this hot visitand the
Saxon Chronicle records that one of the eyewitnesses "cast water upon it,
which was raised in steam with a great noise of boiling."
     The later instance was observed at Mazapil, in Mexico, during the
Andromede rain of November 27, 1885. That which was described asa ball of
fire struck the ground, and when cool was found to be a piece o firon
weighing 8 pounds, and containing nodules of graphite. These two bodies
came into reach during a display of shooting stars. But they lack
observation concerning their radiant point; therefore there is no ground for
associating them with the simultaneous phenomenon..

(end)

Paper: La Porte City Progress
City: La Porte City, Iowa
Date: October 5, 1887