[meteorite-list] Mazapil Meteorite Newspaper Articles

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 16 03:30:34 2004

Hello Svend,

You might find the following two newspapers interesting. The first is very
long and I do not have it transcribed yet, the second is posted on my
website. I have PDF's copies of each available via e-mail upon request
(~800kb. each). Mazapil will get a direct newpsaper article link on the
site later tonight.

I will be leaving here by the time your read this (on vacation), however I
have hired helper now, she has worked with me before and seems to have a
good handle on things and should be able to handle almost all inquiries.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com

Paper: Washington Post
City: Washington, D.C.
Date: Sunday, October 31, 1909
Page: Magazine Section, Page 1

(Part of a long article on meteors)

Meteors Like Little Pebbles

     The former of these was a bolide which came to earth in France on Aprl
4, 1905, a shower of Lyraids simultanesouly attracting the heavens the
wondering gaze ofthe people of western Europe. Of this hot visitand the
Saxon Chronicle records that one of the eyewitnesses "cast water upon it,
which was raised in steam with a great noise of boiling."
     The later instance was observed at Mazapil, in Mexico, during the
Andromede rain of November 27, 1885. That which was described asa ball of
fire struck the ground, and when cool was found to be a piece o firon
weighing 8 pounds, and containing nodules of graphite. These two bodies
came into reach during a display of shooting stars. But they lack
observation concerning their radiant point; therefore there is no ground for
associating them with the simultaneous phenomenon..

Paper: La Porte City Progress
City: La Porte City, Iowa
Date: October 5, 1887

IS IT A PIECE OF A COMET!

A Metallic Fragment from Another World

(W.E. Hidden, in the Century.)

     There has recently come into my possession the ninth iron meteorite
whose fall to the earth has been observed. It is, moreover, the first
meteorite which seems to evidence a direct connection with a star-shower.
The mass acquires still further interest from the fact that it is presumably
a fragment of the famous comet of Biela.
     A brief account of this celestial wanderer will doubtless be of
interest to the readers of - The Century, in which magazine the essays of
the astronomer Langley have recently appeared.
     Astronomers have waited patiently for the fall to the earth's surface,
at the time of the periodical star-showers, of something tangible, but until
now that have waited in vain.
     In looking over a considerable amount of astronomical literature only
one record can be found of the falling of a body to the earth at such a
time; this war near Paris, on the 10th of April, 1094, when "many
shooting-stars were seen and a very large one was said to have been found on
the ground as a glowing substance.
     From the 24th to the 29th of November, 1885, the earth was passing
through a train of meteors that proceeded from the constellation Andromeda,
and once formed a part of Biela's comet. These meteors are now known to
astronomers as Andromedes or Bielids. The maximum of this shower occurred
on the 27th, while it was yet broad daylight over America, and at an hour
corresponding to 11 a.m. at Mazapil, Mexico. Thus, at this time of the fall
of this meteorite, ten hours after the maximum number of meteors was
observed, the earth was meeting with only the stragglers of the train. It
cannot be doubted that the cosmical dust proceeding from the disintegration
of Biela's comet wholly enveloped the earth and was seen as meteors from
every part of it. Such was the magnificence of the celestial phenomenon
that in some parts of the Eastern continent uneducated people believed there
would be no stars left in the sky.
     Of the countless host of meteors which crossed the earth's path on this
26th of November, only one is as yet known to have reached the earth's
surface, and this fell near the village of Mazapil, in the State of
Zacatecas, Mexico, at about 9 o'clock in the evening. It is of the rare
iron-nickel variety, and weighs ten and a quarter pounds troy.
     This meteorite was presented to me by Sir. Jose A. Bonilla,
Directory-Professor of the Zacatecas Observatory, who received it, five days
after its fall, from the ranchman who was it descend from the heavens. This
ranchman related the strange occurrence as follows (translated from the
Spanish):
      "It was about 9 o'clock on the night of November 27, when I went out
to the corral to feed certain horses; suddenly, I heard a loud sizzling
noise, exactly as though something red hot was being plunged into cold
water, and almost instantly there followed a somewhat load thud. At once
the corral was covered with a phosphorescent light, while suspended in the
air were small luminous sparks as though from a rocket. I had not recovered
from my surprise before I saw this luminous air disappear, and there
remained on the ground only such a light as is made when a match is rubbed.
  A number of people came running toward me from the neighboring houses, and
they assisted me in quieting the horses, which had became very much excited.
  We all asked each other what could be the matter, and we were afraid to
walk in the corral for fear of being burned. When, in a few minutes, we had
recovered from our fright, we saw the light disappear, and bringing lanterns
to look for the cause, we found a hole in the ground and in it a ball of
light. We retired to a distance, fearing it would explode and harm us.
Looking up to the sky, we saw from time to time exhalations or stars which
soon went out without noise. We returned after a little, and found in the
hole a hot stone which we could barely handle; this on the next day, we saw,
looked like a piece of iron. All night it rained stars, but we saw none fall
to the ground, as they all seemed to be extinguished while yet very high
up."
     Upon further inquiry we learn that there was no explosion or detonation
heard, and that the mass penetrated the earth only to a depth of twelve
inches.
     This very circumstantial account leads us to believe that this
meteorite is the first one to be secured and preserved that has come to
earth during a star-shower.