[meteorite-list] lafayette meteorite

From: Edward Hodges <holyfireballs_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Sep 17 01:32:59 2004

In a book called "Meteorites: a photographic study of surface features,
part 2 orientation" By H.H. Nininger, publication No. 19 1981 printed
at ASU pages 44-45 there are 3 images of the stone before it was known
to be Martian. Though the images are in black and white they are of the
entire stone and the flight markings are incredible. Included are top
view, side view, and basal view. The description says the flight lines
were mistaken for glacial scracthes for a dozen years in the geology
dept. of a large university. The basal view shows the "oven effect" of
bubbled fusion crust. I regard it as nearly a sin to have molested such a
beauty, but oh well! The weight of the stone is listed as 600 grams,
however every other mention of the TKW I've ever read lists it at 800
grams, can anyone explain this? I wish I knew where a web link to these
images existed. Maybe one of the list members would be nice enough to
post a link. Truly one of the nicest oriented stones ever.- E.R.

IMCA # 4173