[meteorite-list] Tishomingo for sale

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Z.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Sep 20 14:33:22 2004

Hello Bernd, list

Regarding Tishomingo, here is the copy of a post I sent earlier today to
Marcin Cimala about Tishomingo. As there is still more interest in that
wonderful meteorite, I decided to send this but without insisting on its
sale (see below) as the piece is not mine. I believe the value as offered
in Ensisheim ($ 9,000) well falls within the reasonable side of the price
ranges, owing the quality of the piece.
If someone is really interested, let me know off list and I can make
contacts (and send pictures).

Cheers,

Zelimir

----------
Hello Marcin,

We had indeed a nice complete slice of Tishomingo in the consignment room
offered for sale during "Ensisheim 2003". This piece did not sell (very few
people had 9,000 euro cash...see below) and is presently with the owner
whom I know well and, as far as I am informed, who is still willing to sell
that slice.

In case, here is its description as posted on the consignment label (and I
can send you a picture, if interested):

TISHOMINGO (Ni rich ataxite, anomalous, Oklahoma)
Extraordinary full slice, 1734 g (!), crust all around, 37x18x5.5 mm, truly
a unique meteorite composed of a pure Fe-Ni alloy containing 32.5 % Ni. The
etch is dark as shown on the picture of an article about this meteorite
recently published in "Meteorite"! vol. 6, 2000, (page 37 for picture).
Stems from near the center the main mass of the largest stone found and has
the same outline as the one pictured. About 260x175x6 mm (tortuous "base"
of the rough "triangle"). Cut and prepared at TCU, where is the main mass
(see article). The etch shows this strange pattern of martensite and
taenite unknown in other ataxites.

This slice was offered for sale to me (for a friend) by David New through
his friend Art Ehlmann at TCU. They had the main mass and this mass is
actually pictured on the first page of a 2000 issue of "Meteorite". They
apparently had cut this piece and the above described slice comes from the
heart of this big mass.
The purchase price, as negotiated in 2000, was of $ 6/gram (first tag price
was $ 8/g), thus $ 10,400 at a time when the dollar was high versus euro.
At Ensisheim 2003, the price proposed was euro 9,000 (with then euro quasi
equal to dollar).

So far I am not sending this post to the List. Actually, for you, this is
more as information as I do not want to push any sale of a piece before the
formal agreement of the owner. And I also understood that you do not want
to buy such a slice so far...
I also believe that you did see this slice in Ensisheim 2003, when you
arrived for the first time...

Best wishes,

Zelimir

A 16:17 20/09/04 +0000, vous avez ?crit :