[meteorite-list] 1864: fiction or fact? help!

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Sep 21 10:41:50 2004

It's hard to tell anything definite unless you know the size of the
object but
if what I found is right then a "Rod (rd) A unit of length equal to 16.5
feet".

This would give the object a size of 150x225 meter! I don't think you
would find a meteorite of that size intact. You would have a major crater
instead. (OK, I'm pretty shure on it :-)
A meteorite strike of that size is a regional catastrophy according to a
NASA scientist.

The mineralogical part doesn't sound like a meteorite, although I'm more
at home with earth mineralogy and geology. The talc and carbonates
is common in earth environments.

The geological part is also all wrong. To find granite in the center sounds
to me like a granitic intrusion in a serpentinite and that the altered rocks
around the granite got more resilient towards weathering.
We have a few serpentinite mountains in Sweden that stands out from the
surrounding geology. The surface is also quite different from the
surrounding
rocks. It's in the background of this photo.
http://www.geology.neab.net/photos/atok001.jpg
Theese mountains are tough enough to withstand an ice age. The last one
was 7000 years ago and the thickness at least 500m above the peak
of the mountain.

It is by all means a meteowrong and a earthbased geological feature.

As a sidenote there were a meteorite found in sweden almost 100 years
ago with fossiles in it. Anyone want to debunk that one?

:-)

/G?ran