[meteorite-list] All meteorites are cool

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 23 21:46:26 2004

Dear List,

I do not care where a meteorite came from or what name it carries as long as
it is stable and was exported legally. There are a hundred ways to collect,
some prefer geographical location, some prefer rare classes and others may
only collect falls. I personally enjoy collecting rare specimens and more
have come out of NWA than anywhere else the last five years, a true
goldrush. We could have pursued names on a few pieces because coordinates
were recorded. NWA 1110 could have been called Marrir and NWA 1195 could
have been call Saf Saf but so many false coordinates have been reported in
the past so why should the NomCom trust any coordinates? I am more
interested in the rarity of the specimen than its name.

As far as waiting six months for a classification, try three years on some
of our specimens. There are plenty of labs who will classify ordinary
chondrites, you just have to be patient. If you do not want to wait there
are labs who will do it for a price. That's what we do, provide
mini-grants, so to speak, when we are in a hurry. We do not depend on
public money to study most of our pieces and several other dealers are doing
the same thing and because of this two more laboratories are in operation.
It is a case of you get what you pay for.

In my book, all meteorites are cool,

Adam Hupe
The Hupe Collection
Team LunarRock