[meteorite-list] Vermillion (was Helt Township???)

From: moni waiblinger-seabridge <moni2555_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Sep 24 20:02:33 2004

Hi List,

According to the same Catalogue that Sterling quoted, "Marv Kilgore has the
main mass of the Vermillion (Kansas) pyroxene pallasite". But what I find
to be courious, is that there are larger masses in other collections.

And according to Dave Wier, "Vermillion may be more confidently considered
to be genetically related to members of the low-Au division of the IAB
iron-meteorite complex".

In any case, the name "Vermillion" is now taken. So even if the "Indiana
Iron" were recovered, it would have to get a different name.

Sternengruss, Moni

------------------------------
[meteorite-list] Helt Township???
Sterling K. Webb kelly at bhil.com
Thu Sep 23 23:40:46 EDT 2004
Hi,
    The Catalogue of Meteorites lists only three irons for Indiana:
KOKOMO 1862 Find IVB Ataxite
LA PORTE 1900 Find IIIAB
PLYMOUTH 1893 Find IIIAB
and nothing for VERMILLION
    Gee, anybody got any HANGMAN'S CROSSING?
    What a great name...
Sterling Webb