[meteorite-list] Tanezrouft 062 and lack of NWA coordinates

From: meteoriteshow <meteoriteshow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Sep 25 06:40:32 2004

Hi Bernd and List,

I had seen some slices of this meteorite found by Jean-Luc & Annick and I
must say that we had the same first feeling about a possible pairing, which
we checked by exchanging GPS coordinates of our finds. I agree with Bernd,
they are certainly not paired, that was our conclusion to Jean-Luc and me.
Just one more word about Jean-Luc and Annick, to say that they are really
great fellows!
As far as NWAs are concerned, my position has always been the same,
depending on how we see meteorites. It is true that as a collector point of
view, a meteorite is a meteorite, coming from outer space and when we like
one, very often we don't mind too much about where it was found. Some other
collectors will behave differently, collecting sometimes European
meteorites, or American ones, or African ones, and so on... The point then
about possible pairings can be important to them, so that they don't buy the
same meteorite several times. And now of course, the exact position of a
find is of interest to scientists but I'm not a scientist either! But
scientists also appreciate NWAs as they bring more variety in meteorites,
providing to them the opportunity to work more often on some rare material
such as Mars or Moon! In this case I'm sure that where they come from in
outer space is much more important to them, than where they were found on
the Earth! I don't want to defend too much NWAs (!) as we don't sell them,
by I must be honest.
We do try to give as much information as we can with our meteorites for some
different reason, linked to the "story" of a meteorite. As mentioned before,
we all know that they come from the outer space, most of them from the
asteroid belt, but apart from few of them like HEDs, Moon or Mars, we don't
know very well their "story" until they reached the Earth. When we happen to
find one, somewhere in the Desert and (right or wrong, it depends on
collectors) we believe that some collectors will appreciate to know where we
found it (GPS coordinates), how it was "displayed" on the ground (picture on
site), to have an idea as clear as possible of the type and its TKW
(classification), so that they can estimate for instance how many other
collectors may have a piece of it, etc... Some collectors like to get a main
mass! In such a case, I guess it can be interesting to know for sure that
for instance Jean-Luc's find and Tan 062 are two different meteorites. I
also understand once again anybody who will tell me that she or he doesn't
mind!

Anyway, I believe that there are as many points of view as different reasons
of collecting meteorites. The diversity of sources provides then some
answers to everybody and that is to me the most important. So I fully agree
with you Bernd, a *meteorite* is a *meteorite* and when we like them for
whatever reason, we MUST enjoy them as much as we can! So let's enjoy in
peace!

When the List gives us the chance to exchange ideas, I really love it!

All the best to all of you, and have a nice weekend,

Frederic Beroud
www.meteoriteshow.com
IMCA #2491