[meteorite-list] >>> Missing main mass of Chassigny discovered

From: Pelé Pierre-Marie <pierremariepele_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Apr 1 00:54:32 2005

Hello to the List.

I would like to make a big announcement today.

The missing mass of Chassigny, the rariest martian
kind of meteorite, was found back this week by my
team.

A little bit of history
When Chassigny meteorite fell in 1815 on a vineyard
north of the Village, the stone broke up into
fragments. One stone is said to have been thrown to
100 meters from the main impact site but was not
discovered. Behind the vineyard was a little forest
(visible on old maps) and some fragments may have been
ejected inside it. Inhabitants took some of the
fragments they saw on the impact pit while another,
the biggest, was kept and given later to the
scientist, Mr Pistolet, who recorded the meteorite
fall. 4 kilograms were registered (that's the tkw
indicated in the Catalogue of Meteorites) but he said
that about 8 kilograms fell this day.

Seeking the missing 4 kilograms
Since months, with secrecy, my team members had
contacts with the Chassigny inhabitants. We put some
"advertising" in restaurants, shops and contacted each
inhabitant by letter.

And...
Last week, a man, Mr D., called me and said he had
found in his attic an old box, unlabelled, that was
part of a family inheritage. His family leaves in
Chassigny for centuries and were most of them farmers.
He opened the box and found a strange looking rock
inside it.

On last week-end, I went with a team member to
Chassigny to see this "find". I was litteraly stuck
when I looked at this stone. It was protected in an
old rag and cotton. The appearance is the same as
Chassigny, between grey and yellowish. Fusion crust
covers only 10-15% of the surface and is weathered,
probably due to the humidity.

We weighed the stone and got a weight of about 3,150g
which is subsequently the main mass of Chassigny fall.

As the man ignored before that he had such a treasure
in his attic, he decided to sell it to us for a price
that agreed to both of us.

So now...
We are now proud to announce tkw of Chassigny has to
be increased to 7,150g. Discovery will be exposed to
the next Ensisheim Show.

Best regards,

Pierre-Marie PELE
METEOR-CENTER