[meteorite-list] Google Maps

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Apr 6 01:26:52 2005

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 23:49:51 -0400 (EDT), "Marc Fries" <m.fries_at_gl.ciw.edu> wrote:

>Howdy
>
> Ok, this is pretty cool:
>
>http://maps.google.com/
>
> Google has developed a seamless map database that cross-links to
>satellite photos. I scrolled this thing from Manacouagan crater to
>Wetumpka crater, then out to Hawaii and "visited" my current home and
>my mom's house on the way. This is actually a pretty spectacular site
>for locating physical landform features and cross-referencing them to a
>road map.
> I can see my house from here!

I don't know how good the resolution for Google maps vs. other maps is for other areas, but for the
one with which I'm most familiar-- around my home-- Google's just sucks. A couple of years back I
played around with another mapping site, and would tell the name here if I could remember it.

Anyway, this is the best resolution of the area around my home that Google offered. The red dot is
the approx. location of my house-- the red square outlines the approx. area shown in the other map.

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/googlemap.jpg

In this, the non-Google map, inside the red circle IS my house. You can even make out a 10 foot x
10 foot tool shed in the lower right-hand corner.

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/othermap.jpg

I also, at the time, grabbed a few dozen of the 800x600 highest-zoom chunks from that site and
stitched them together into one large map (I wanted to expand it even more, especially around the
top and bottom, but never got around to it)

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/homemap.jpg