[meteorite-list] impact melts

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Apr 6 16:22:03 2005

Stan and others,

Acapulcoites, Brachinites, Lodranites, and Winonaites have been thought of as being "primitive" achondrites that may have chondrules, especially acapulcoites. I've always thought of these as being "tweeners" in between chondrites and achondrites....differentiated a lot, but not quite absent of chondritic characteristics like remnant chondrules. Their age signature is still from longggg ago.

I agree (IMHO) with others to say that impact melting alone does not make an achondrite. It is primarily a function of differentiation.

John

-------------- Original message from "stan ." <laser_maniac_at_hotmail.com>: --------------