[meteorite-list] What's this? -for the geology experts out there

From: Graham Christensen <voltage_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 7 05:19:50 2005

Hello list

I've had this rock sitting on my kitchen table since last year when I picked
it up along the side of the road while out for a walk. It is a fairly smooth
green rock with black bits in it and it looks somewhat like my DAG 476
shergottite but it's a slightly lighter shade of green. I have yet to grind
an end off to see what the inside looks like but there are a couple chips
out of it and it looks about the same on the inside with the green part
being fine grained and the black bits are individual crystals. I doubt that
it is meteoritic (there is no trace of fusion crust) but I was wondering if
it might be similar to a shergottite but of terrestrial origin.

Here is a pic of it:
http://www.geocities.com/aerolitehunter/dag476andunidentified.jpg
The small slice in the forground is my DAG 476 and the big rock is of course
the rock in question.

I have been collecting rocks on and off in this area since I was a kid and I
haven't seen anything like it but that doesn't mean much. I live in Alberta,
Canada, where most of the rocks you find lying on the ground were brought
down from various locations by the glaciers of the last ice age so it's kind
of a potluck dinner of geology up here.

I won't get my hopes up, but I certainly wouldn't mind copying Bob Verish
and finding out I've been sitting on a mars meteorite for a year!! :-)

Any comments are greatly appreciated
Graham