[meteorite-list] What's this? -for the geology experts out there

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 7 20:15:21 2005

Hello fellow green rock picker-uppers. I have more green rocks than Carter has pills. :)

I collect green rocks on a regular basis. After years of collecting and studying, along with the help of fellow green rock collectors like Bob V, I have concluded that my shergonots are related to an area of gabbro/diorite material that has had some of it's plagioclase converted to a green secondary mineral, epidote. These metamorphic gneiss-like rocks are very similar to both Bob's and Graham's rocks.

I once thought all this green stuff was olivine, but several folks have steared me toward the epidote explanation in recent years.

While I am no expert, I do have some of the best green and green-gray rocks around that are strikingly just like shergottites in hand sample.

Green Rocks Rule,

John

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_yahoo.com>