[meteorite-list] What a lunar thrill

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Apr 9 07:02:52 2005

Hello Mike and All !

Today I got my 0.62-gram Dhofar 1180 (LUN-A) from Mike Farmer
in a carefully packaged membrane box. It arrived well-documented
with an in-situ photo of the original wedge- or pick-axe shaped mass,
another photo showing Mike in the Oman Desert and holding his new
treasure, and a thin section photo showing the bewilderung variety
of minerals and clasts in this microbreccia.

See also David Weir's excellent website* where you can have a look at
both the colorful matrix and the in-situ photograph of this new lunar
that seems to be unpaired to the other lunar Dhofars but may be related
to several Antarctic lunar meteorites: MAC 88105, QUE 93069, QUE 94269
(just my uneducated guess so let's wait for the official results).

* http://www.geocities.com/~dweir/

What a thrill to hold and behold a piece of the Moon, especially
when you look up at our celestial neighbor with such a piece in
your hands!

Thank you Mike !

Best wishes,

Bernd