[meteorite-list] Microwave my meteorites?

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Apr 11 10:51:36 2005

Dear Maria;
My neighbor is a white's detector salesman and a few years back he went
to Odessa and hunted the field briefly in the 99 degree heat. His guide
was none other than James Williams, Rocks from Space page 136.
Ron used the top of the line two piece deep penetrating unit White's
had out at the time. The plan was to search 3-10 feet deep for items
that the regular detector crowd had missed. Between the heat and the
pipelines in the area The deep seeking unit did not produce any
meteorites in the four hours of searching. Ron did find some real nice
odessa's in Mr. Williams collection though. Ron felt with a better
weather condition that he would have done much better but noted that
Odessa is an old oil boom town and there is a great deal of metal
around. Digging 10 foot holes for pipe thread protectors would not be
productive so maybe the area would have to be a bit more primitive to
have the deep penetrating radar be more successful.
No snow in my part of the rockies,
Dave F