[meteorite-list] Emil Cohen's Market Trends of 1899 - Cohen's remarks & plausibility of conversion

From: Alexander Seidel <gsac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Apr 12 17:39:49 2005

> Buckleboo!
> Martin
>
> PS: And now I will hear some discussions! Were the USA the Maghreb of the
> 19th century? Were the Canadians already strange then? Were Mocs and
> Pultusk the Gao of 1899? Should we have more respect for Campo?........

Very nicely done, Martin! It was highly interesting to read and scroll
through those lists. And it clearly reminds us of how comparably lucky we
can be these days to be able to easily acquire meteorites, both first in
terms of money (well, meant here as compared to the ratios of the average
available budget vs. prices then and now, of course) and then in terms of
availability, which was given an almost revolutionary boost with the
dramatically increasing possibilities of private access to the internet for
a wide public in the past decade. I know what I am talking about as I am one
of the old time collectors who still have "the old days" in memory, when one
was eagerly waiting for the snail-mailed new sales lists from dealers like
David New or Rolf Buehler, and the whole hobby was even more "niche" than it
still may be today from an outside view. My fellow collector friends on this
list, who already were around as collectors in those days, e.g. Bernd Pauli
and many others, surely know what I am talking about... :-)

Best from Berlin/Germany,
Alex