AW: [meteorite-list] Emil Cohen's Market trends of 1899

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 14 12:21:11 2005

> J?rn kindly wrote:
>

> And, not to forget Marlin Cilz, who had (and still has?) the most
> beautiful Museum-size slabs of etched iron meteorites for sale
> (remember Maltah?he, Orange River, Ocotillo, Guadalupe y Calvo,
> Watson...)

Alas, Marlin knows the business and when money knocks, he opens the
door.

Many years ago, I spent the weekend up at Marlin's place in Malta.
Viewing his collection including the pieces J?rn mentioned was a
humbling experience.

A while later when I was talking with Marlin on the phone, he said he
sold his collection. I mentioned some of the pieces I was particularly
fond of. Yup, they're all gone he replied.

So Marlin has been building his third meteorite collection. Seems his
first was sold many years earlier.

In The Art of Collecting Meteorites, there is a picture on page 62 of
Marlin's main saw working its way through a large iron. Marlin has
quite a operation. As anyone who has cut irons knows, it is a rather
loud process that can last many hours. Marlin has a closed-circut TV
camera focused on his saw, and his shop is in an insulated building off
his house. The camera feeds its signal into Marlin's home so he can
watch the progress from the comfort of his couch.

But I digress...

Cheers,

Martin