[meteorite-list] Muonionalusta - Displacement Lines

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 14 16:49:55 2005

Hello Dave and list,

Re: http://www.meteorites.com.au/features/muonionalusta.html

I wrote:

>Also of note on your slice, is that it appears to me to have been cut at
>about a 40 degree angle from how the crystals formed.

Dave commented and wondered, "This aspect is interesting... I always
wondered about it.
Does in your opinion exist a "best angle" to cut irons in order to get a
good pattern?"

I think if a person had an option they would choose a 90 degree angle cut
(on the crystalline pattern). Of course most meteorites are loafed and you
kind of get what you get. Marvin Killgore is the only one I know they
checks, or has checked, before he cuts.

Richard Norton's Rocks from Space, pages 222 and 223 shows examples of what
different patterns one can get from cutting octahedrites...the most common
of all irons.

In sort of related news, my local club, the Kansas Meteorite Society has
just opened a lab that is quite nice. Some of the equipment was
specificially made for us, like we have a acid bath setup that looks like a
pop corn machine with a sink on the side. It includes an eye wash and is
vintilated. One good thing about having everything made for us
is...everything has extra lights. Currently it is only available to
members.

When I get some time I will take some photographs...

Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
www.meteoritearticles.com