[meteorite-list] Distribution of Meteorites Around Small-SizeCraters?

From: Meteoryt.net <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Apr 16 18:48:08 2005

> Has anyone studied how the meteoritic material found
> at impact craters such as Wabar, Boxhole, Henbury,
> Odessa, and Morasko was distributed? I am curious if
> either the main mass or the major amount of the
> meteoritic material was either found inside the main
> crater or otherwise directly associated with it in
> some
> fashion. Or was the meteoritc material simply
> scattered
> haphazardly about the primary crater in a manner
> lacking any discernable association with the largest
> crater and pattern?

Hello
>From my side I can speak only about Morasko and their "possible" impact
structures.
I say "possible" becouse its still not sure if they are impact craters or
glacier holes.

Anyway we have here alot of problems with this meteorite. Specimens are
inside and outside of "craters", small and tiny specimens are placed near
huge specimens. There are area where You can find alot of small specimens,
and they are near places where You will find 1 specimen in the same size
area. Many hunters dont want share their information or only share places of
find and not share weight and deep of his finds. But few scientist working
on map to finally see if there is strewn field or not.

But I think its not verry strange that specimens are not make typical strewn
field. Last week I have seen map of Meteor Crater in Arizona with marked
places of find of Canyon Diablo specimens. This is exactly the same
situation like here but in larger scale. The same concentration of different
size specimens, small pieces near big. And the same as in Arizona, there is
no main mass. I mean really huge specimen. The biggest impact structure is
around 100m and the biggest morasko ever found is only above 80kg! So where
is the rest ? I think it was burned inside of craters in big explosion.

If anyone have maps from other world impact craters with marked specimens it
could be interested to Polish scientist.
Any questions ? :)

Thanks

http://www.Meteoryt.net marcin_at_meteoryt.net
http://www.PolandMET.com marcin_at_polandmet.com