[meteorite-list] Re: [MeteoriticalBulletin] Further changes to Guidelines for Meteorite Nomenc...

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Apr 18 16:06:35 2005

Hola List - this just in (see informative dense collection zone nomenclature
policy message below). It would seem the Meteoritical Society has stepped
up to the plate and now the meteoritemen will be separated from the
meteoritekids (with one possible exception of the latter - the grandfathered
"meteoritekid" fellow listmember). I bet purchases from LeSoukville are NOT included
without some sort of affidavit regarding coordinates referenced to an
unadulterated geodesic datum. Glad we'll be seeing a meteorite coordinate shower,
soon:) Saludos, Doug

"Under this rule, meteorites from dense collection area may be
declared by the Committee to be paired if there is overwhelming
evidence, including geographic data, supporting the claim."

En un mensaje con fecha 04/18/2005 2:35:00 PM Mexico Daylight Time,
jgrossman_at_usgs.gov escribe:

Dear all,

This message is to inform you that the Nomenclature Committee has
once again made changes to the Guidelines for Meteorite
Nomenclature. We have now agreed to a rule under which meteorites
from dense collection areas can be formally paired at the time of
initial characterization, and thereby be subject to relaxed type-
specimen requirements.

Under this rule, meteorites from dense collection area may be
declared by the Committee to be paired if there is overwhelming
evidence, including geographic data, supporting the claim. When the
Committee votes to accept such evidence, each new specimen will still
get a separate name, in keeping with current practices. However, the
requirement that 20 g or 20% of the total mass, whichever is less, be
deposited in institutions that have well-curated meteorite
collections will apply to the pairing group as a whole instead of to
individual specimens.

The Committee will only consider requests to pair newly discovered
meteorites with each other or with other formally named meteorites.
Requests to pair existing, formally named meteorites in the absence
of new specimens will not be considered.

All pairing groups approved by the Committee will be announced in the
Meteoritical Bulletin.

The revised Guidelines for Meteorite Nomenclature are online at
http://meteoriticalsociety.org/bulletin/nc-guidelines.htm

I apologize to those of you getting this message more than once...
there is significant overlap of the mailing lists I have to use.

Jeff

Dr. Jeffrey N. Grossman
Meteorite Nomenclature Committee (Meteoritical Society)
US Geological Survey
954 National Center
Reston, VA 20192, USA
Phone: (703) 648-6184 fax: (703) 648-6383