[meteorite-list] Largest collection criteria

From: Phil Morgan <pkmorgan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 21 16:46:09 2005

I'd think that if you are speaking of the "largest", you'd
have to measure the volume of the collection. I'd think a
stone slightly "bigger" than a similar size iron would be
considered the larger of the two. That could be
problematic though, so you could use the weight of two
collections with simlar stone/iron weight ratios. What
was Marvin's...4 tons?

Anyone have any idea how much Bob Haag's collection
weighs?

If you're talking about most diverse, it would be the
number of unique types of specimens.

If you're talking about most valuable, then it would
require measurement against a common price list.

Quality would be much more subjective other than the
obvious (a ton of weathered NWAs certainly wouldn't
compare to a ton of historic falls).

Regards to all,
Phil