[meteorite-list] NPA 04-19-1906 Henry Ward & Willamette Meteorite

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 21 17:01:20 2005

Paper: The Newark Daily Advocate
City: Newark, New York
Date: Thursday, April 19, 1906
Page: 10 (of 12)

The Oregon Meteorite

     New York, April 19 - Without mishap the Willamette meteorite, weighing
fifteen tons, purchased by Mrs. William E. Dodge at a cost said to be
$20,600, and presented by her to the American Museum of Natural History, has
ended its long journey from Portland, Oregon.
     Many were the comments of spectators as the huge mass, on a truck,
swung from the 25th street into Broadway and continued up the Columbus
Circle and into Central Park.
     According to Henry A. Ward, a scientist, this specimen, which derives
its name from the fact that it was found near Willamette, Ore., in 1902, is
remarkable for the presence of broad channels cutting into it caused,
supposedly, by the tremendous friction of the densely compressed air as the
meteorite passed through the atmosphere.
     Traces of cobalt and phosphorous are found in the mass, but it consists
of more than ninety per cent iron and nearly eight per cent nickel. The
length is 10 feet 8 1-2 inches breadth across base, 7 feet; height from base
to summit, 8 feet; circumference of base, 25 feet 1 inches. Its temporary
resting place will be in the arch near the large Cape York meteorite brought
from Greenland by Commander Peary.

(end)

Speaking of the Willamette meteorite. I imagine that the Oregon project
going on with this meteorite, (a full size model and information booth in a
downtown district) will increase interest in the stone and meteorites in
general. Because of this I will adding more Willamette NPA's to the website
soon. At a time when meteorites are being taken down from museum displays,
the Willamette display is encouraging. Others should consider adding
Willamette metorite content to there websites in order to help the school
kids that will surely be searching.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.