[meteorite-list] NPA 01-03-1821 Possible Lixna Meteorite Fallarticle

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Apr 22 14:35:47 2005

Martin asked "Mark, regarding the dates: Lixna fell on July 12, 1820; the
St. Petersburg date is Sept. 18 (1820?), and the Paper date is January 3,
1821. Is my assumption correct that the Republic Compiler running a
translated story from the St. Petersburg, Russia newspaper?"

That is correct Martin. The newspaper has two news notes under the Sept.
18, St. Peterburg date. The other was not meteorite related so I left it
off. In 1820-21 European newspapers came to America by boat (of course).
Three months apprears to be normal news travel time, although I should
sometime make a comparison in how fast meteorite news traveled.

Getting a little off subject, I don't think times of war affect this much as
there seem to me a lack of war time finds and falls. Or at least it seems
to me there should be war time falls, as one would think people would be
outside more often. I have had trouble locating Civil War era meteor and
meteorite papers while the years around the Civil War, they seem more
common. Then again as my archives grow perhaps I will find this to be
untrue.

Ok, now off to lunch....hmm...food,

Mark
www.meteoritearticles.com